Sunday, January 24, 2016

Digital Blog Post #A - Chapter 1

Good evening!

Hope that this blog post finds you well on this fantastic night.
Welcome, and thank you for reading!

After covering the first chapter, I find myself envying today's youth while simultaneously anticipating my reign in the classroom. The opportunities that a technology-based classroom have to offer are far beyond what I had expected. I was and am still a bit skeptical on the idea of integrating too much technology into the classroom, but this read has shed quite a bit of light on the matter and I'm eager to see how these feelings progress throughout the semester. The suggestions for learning new technologies was so inspiring, I especially loved the idea of the virtual chemistry lab. Of course, like most kids I enjoyed chemistry, but the level of caution and attention to detail needed in the classroom brought on a high level of anxiety. Picturing students being able to digitally take their chemistry labs home, and doing their work in a safe, relaxed environment has such a great appeal to it. This medium would allow students to show off their success to their parents without anyone trembling from the fear of explosions or fires, such a great way to keep the family involved in the students' education as well as keeping the student intrigued in their homework.

In the same category, I also enjoyed the idea of creating small technology groups. The concept is very much like the on-going play centers or learning centers you find already in classrooms, which in my opinion from personal experience and classroom monitoring seems to be a favorite among students. Dividing up materials amongst the groups would allow the educators to require less of the devices needed for the classroom which would be beneficial when thinking about our school budgets. It also gives the students some prime time to work together and ensure each of them are given the opportunity to really digest the material they're meant to learn. If planned accordingly, you could group the students with similar learning styles to work together, they could keep up with each other and assist one another in processing the information at hand. This video is a bit outdated, but still conveys the concept and it's benefits I envision for my future class.

I want to say I was shocked or perhaps impressed with the amount of screen time a child gets at such an early age, but I was slightly relieved to know that my son is probably averaging out with the rest of his peers in that department. As a new parent, I had struggled with the thought of whether to accustom him to digital devices or try to keep them away for as long as I could. Everyone had input on the matter, both negative and positive. Ultimately, I encouraged him and bought his first tablet for his 3rd birthday. I'm happy I did because it has proven to be beneficial in the classroom, he excels in his technology class and has assisted other students who struggle. I was saddened on the other hand to read about the lack of devices available to the less fortunate students, and it's unfortunate that they struggle in school because of it. I hope that in the future we can see proper funding to the schools for top-notch educational technological devices to ensure that everyone is getting the same experience, even if only while at school.

Again, I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm still skeptical, but with time, an open mind, and continuing to educate myself, I believe I'll be a full supporter of bringing classroom's further into the digital age. This first chapter filled in a lot of blanks and answered questions I've had for some time which came as a relief. The only fears I keep coming back to are what happens when we have technical difficulties, and without proper funding, is this ideal education possible? Hopefully these fears will subside as I further my journey into the book and class.

Resources:
Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment